Philippians 1:9-11 – And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
A Christian’s love should abounding love that increase as he matures. There are several ways that a Christian should have an abounding love I would like to discuss
- Full of Knowledge – We should have an abounding love based on the Word of God. We need to love the things God loves and hate the things God hates. The problem with the world is they love the wrong things or have their priorities out of whack.
- Use of Good Judgment – You have to take the knowledge you have and make good judgments in abounding love. You need to know when to have mercy and when not to. You need to be able to perceive when someone is lying and when they are telling the truth. You need to know what is deserving of your love and what is not. You have to judge righteous judgments.
- Sincere in Belief – Your abounding love needs to be sincere and not fake. You need to have a genuine love for the brethren and the lost. A sincere love from the heart will get you through. You need a sincere love of the Lord Jesus Christ. You cannot be hypocritical with your love.
- Not Offensive – Abounding love is not going to be offensive. It will draw men and women to Christ because it is attractive. If you have a grumpy spirit, you will push people away. You need to have a gentle spirit in dealing with others. Our Lord was meek and lowly. The only time he really got upset was with religious hypocrites like the Pharisees. Your spirit and attitude should be attractive and not offensive.
- Full of the Fruit of the Spirit – Abounding love should be full of the nine fruit of the Spirit. You should show love, joy, peace, gentleness, longsuffering, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. You will show a forgiving love that is quick to overlook being wronged. The love of Christ will constrain you or hold you back. You will be silent under tribulations.
- Glorifying and Praising God – Abounding love is going to glorify and praise the Lord. It will be thankful for all the little and big mercies that have been extended to it. It will not focus on the bad but rather on God and then praise the Lord for even the little things.
Do you have an abounding love that is growing each and every day?